Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Windows 8 - my opinion

Showing part of the apps screen
Home screen
I pre-ordered my Windows 8 from QVC so I received it on it's launch day.

At first it seemed quite interesting but I didn't enjoy using it. I use Windows 7 premium and a Samsung Galaxy tablet and a smartphone so I understand about technology, but this just seemed a mix of everything but without a touch screen.

It won't import pop3 e-mail accounts unless you install something like Incredimail yourself. And unless you can afford Word you have to download a simple word processor. many of the apps that were preinstalled tell you to create an account and sign in - even if they are free. You have to make up loads of usernames and passwords doing that.

It does have a refresh function though as well as system restore, but if you refresh it takes the computer back to the state you got it and so you lose any programmes you might have put in yourself. we installed Webroot cloud as it is faster than the trial version of Mcafee - but refreshing the computer removed it and other things. We tried all this just to see how well things worked.

My first computer was Sinclair zx, then I worked on through Commodore 16 and 64 and then through all the windows editions. I have had them in desktops, laptops and netbooks.

Windows 8 is much faster, but you have to keep switching between screens and it takes ages to find all the functions. I don't even use most of the apps.

After a week i gave the machine to mum who got to grips with where everything is but she has now decided that she doesn't like it either - so it is going back - one of the advantages of QVC.

I am typing this on my Windows 7 premium, Toshiba, duel core laptop - white and easier for me to see all the functions on.


No comments: